One of my favorite sayings goes, “You have to believe to achieve.” I keep it posted all over my office and home, and I find it endlessly inspiring. The idea is that if you don’t believe you can do something, you’re probably going to fail; if you think you’re capable, your chances of success are much higher.
Beliefs are powerful
It’s sort of like when you lose your keys. You look all over the house for them and do not see them anywhere, even though they’re sitting right on the kitchen counter all along. You’re so certain that they’re not on the counter that you don’t even bother looking, and you even walk by them repeatedly without noticing. Finally, when someone joins in on the search, they find them right away, and you feel pretty silly. You didn’t believe, so you sabotaged yourself.
Some of the most common beliefs that lead to self-sabotage include:
• I’m not worth the going-rates in my field.
• I’m not good enough to have success.
• Others are better than me.
• People aren’t going to be willing to pay the rates I deserve.
• Clients have no reason to work with me.
• Getting clients is too hard.
• I don’t have enough time to do all the work.
• Money is too hard to make.
• I’m going to have to work hard and sacrifice to be successful.
• I’m never going to make enough money.
• The economy is too bad for me to get started.
• The barriers to entry are too large.
• I will never get ahead.
• My business is lucky to even exist in this economy.
• I’ll never achieve my dreams.
• It’s too hard.
• I just can’t do it.
Having beliefs like this is the quickest way to block your own business success. Not only do they put up mental barriers, but they prevent you from even trying. They make opportunities seem more remote, and they cause you to miss critical chances for growth.
If you want to reverse this process and get yourself on track, take some time to identify the beliefs that are sabotaging your success. Then, start changing those beliefs.
Learn more about how our solutions and creative disciplines can help your business build a community.
For hellos, new business inquires, and career opportunities, please feel free to reach out to Some1@urge.agency